Pink Girl Purple Girl
The process was a lot of fun! The girls decorated the covers while I cut and glued. The original post suggested using spray glue - BRILLIANT! It made this project go so fast. The pink was made out of old curtains so you'll notice that the pockets were hemmed, simply because that is where I cut the fabric. The other one I just folded over and glued down. It was suggested that I iron it, again, great idea, but I was in the basement doing the project and the iron was in our bedroom... two flights of stairs too many for this lazy girl.
Here's how we did it:
First, cut out the part that holds the dvd, make sure to put the self healing mat between the clear plastic and the case
Then "measure" a thin piece of cardboard to go in that space (this is where the crayons or pencils will be), for this one I used the top of a shoe box for the cardboard. Cut a second for the side between the case and the plastic cover.
Here is that neat little hem I was talking about
We put down crayons to see how many would fit and how much fabric we would need. Then marked it... with pen... on the front (did I learn NOTHING from my 7th grade sewing class?!). Needless to say, it would of been smarter to make the markings on the BACK of the fabric!
Top pocket, measure a hem at the bottom (nice and even, isn't it - geesh!).
Now the fun part! Spray glue! I did this on the steps outside.
That silly hem - I masked it off with a page from a magazine and sprayed the hem to make it even (from the front at least).
Bottom pocket!!! Oh, I just realized that I didn't take any pictures of me covering the cardboard, anyway, same principle... "measure" and glue.
Repeat with top pocket and ta-da!
This is the back.
Here it is in the dvd case.
Here is her cover.
She LOVES this!
2nd one... out of shoe box top, so beer box was a good alternative.
This time I made fancy corners.
I don't know why... it didn't change anything.
I used a LOT of glue... apparently I got some on my finger... which then got stuck to the sprayer thingy (technical term), which then came off. Thank goodness my voice wasn't being recorded, I had some choice words right about now.
Finished! I *love* this one! I think the small dark print looks awesome!
Cutie putting her crayons in.
Thanks Stacy for the original post and inspiration!
The girls wanted to make a dozen more... perhaps some day. I think this would be great for a "nature study" with the kids. I think before we start school in the fall I'll make them all one and fill it with new pencils. I also think it would be a cool gift for people that come to visit us with kids... for the trip home. Or perhaps for kids that draw/color in church... the ideas are endless!