Friday, April 27, 2012

5 a day

I am so sick of my kids begging me for snacks during the day.  Actually what I normally hear is "mom, I'm hungry, what can I eat?"  I respond "a fruit or vegetable".  Then the fit ensues.

At the homeschool conference I just attended I learned a lot about making expectations clear to your children.  Duh!  Why not do the same with what I expect them to "eat".  We have talked a lot about the importance of eating 5 fruits and veggies a day... or at least that is the goal (don't tell them, but I would settle for 3).  So, here is the chart I came up with.  You will notice that there is a "ideas" section at the bottom.  I think the kids forget all the options we typically have in the house.  I put "dad and mom" on there as well, it's a good reminder for us too.  The plan is to laminate it and then use a dry erase marker to put x's as we go along.  Can't wait to see how it turns out!

 I know the picture is terrible, it's from my phone and I can't seem to find a way to attach a pdf.  If you would like a copy, let me know and I'll send it right off.

Do you have a way to get your kids to willingly eat more fruits and veggies (I'm not a huge advocate of "sneaking" it in)?  I'd love to try some other ideas!

 Here they are on the fridge.


 Yup, Bailey and I both had ONE fruit today... man, we've got some work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment