Here's how I made it... Again, I got the idea from here... and she does a great job of explaining how to do things. I had to make a few adjustments... I doubled the size and I also only had one map so I wasn't able to add card stock to the bag to strengthen it... but it seems sturdy just the same.
First I measured out my map. Mine was 31" wide and 16.5" tall.
I made a 4" fold for what would be the bottom.
And a 1.5" fold for what would end up being the "top" of the bag.
It's kind of hard to see... but I sectioned it off into a 9" piece, a 6" piece, a 9" piece, a 6" piece and a 1" piece. I marked these off (if you look hard you can see my black pen marks) and then folded them on the lines (toward the "inside" or where the original folds are).
I folded the map into what looks like a rectangle, taking the extra one inch and gluing it on the inside of one of the corners. (Trust me, this makes a ton more sense when it is in your hands, basically, just glue the 1" flap so it makes a cylinder.)
Then undo the bottom cuff so you can fold it like you would if you were wrapping a gift.
(This is one of those times that pictures are worth a thousand words!)
Add glue (I used a glue stick) to the bottom flaps to secure.
I was so excited that it actually looked like a bag that I folded the gussets in and the bottom up... as if for storage.
I was too lazy to go downstairs to find cord for a handle, but I did have this thin jute(ish) stuff up here. It was too thin. So I took three 24" pieces and braided them, punched holes in the bag (reinforced them with tape) and threaded the handle through.
I can't wait to fill it!!!
I am so excited to try this with other materials! Old wrapping paper, newspaper... wow!
If you try to make one, please let me know how it turns out, and/or what different materials you think would make a good bag.