Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cilantro Lime Chicken and Salad

I was looking for something light and refreshing to grill and found this recipe that called for cilantro and lime and chicken - Perfect!  I tweaked it a bit and here is what we came up with:




Wanna try it?  Here's how I made it:

In a bowl combine:
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
zest and juice of 2 limes
4 cloves garlic, minced


Cut 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips and add marinade and a 1/2 cup cilantro cut up. 
 (If I was just making this for adults I would add some red pepper flakes - about 1 Tbs. too)


Let hang out for about 30 minutes.  This gave me time to contemplate sides... so I made some rice and a salad with a cilantro lime dressing.  
The salad dressing blew us all away!  It made a lot and I can't wait to try the leftover on some grilled shrimp.

Cilantro Lime Dressing (care of Simple Food Healthy Life):
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chobani 0% plain yogurt
1 tbsp lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp sea salt

I combined it in the blender and then found that I needed to add another handful of cilantro (my bunch was small).  Wow!  It was amazing!

To make the salad I just used iceberg lettuce and added about 1/3 cup of chopped peanuts and 1 cup of slivered sugar snap peas for some crunch.  My kids went nuts over the salad!  There were clean plates all around, which is not a daily occurrence. 

Back to the chicken... 
We (I say "we", because my husband actually did it) used metal skewers and threaded the chicken.  He grilled it for about 10 minutes (until it was cooked through).  To "guild the lily" I added some chopped peanuts for an added crunch.  If I had more time, (gasp) I would have pressed the cooked chicken into some chopped peanuts, but throwing a handful over the top also fit the bill.

Super tender, delicious, the kids asked if we could have it every day!  


No comments:

Post a Comment